Radar Analysis and Support System – RASS
Whether you have a ‘legacy’ system or a Mode-S or 3D radar system, the RASS tool will suit your analysis requirements. Beyond radar, RASS can also be used to evaluate ADS-B and Multilateration Systems.
RASS is a suite of state-of-the-art analysis tools that assist ANSPs, Defence Agencies or Maintenance Repair Organisations to evaluate the performance state of a surveillance system against manufacturer’s specifications, contracted performance requirements or international regulatory requirements for safe air traffic management (e.g. ICAO – International Civil Aviation Organisation). RASS is a recognised evaluation tool used to analyse radar performance and is currently in use worldwide by leading industry organisations to verify radar performance against mandated standards (i.e. EUROCONTROL, North Atlantic Treaty Organisation – NATO, United States Air Force – USAF and Federal Aviation Administration – FAA).
Radar Field Analyser
Find more on Radar Field Analyser
Radar RF Test-set
Find more on Radar RF Test-set
USB Power Meter
- In the field of radar the UPM772 can be used in three different applications:
- as pulse power meter on site or in the field;
- as measurement tool to extract antenna diagrams;
- as field strength meter for investigation of health and safety conditions.
Radar Interface Module
Find more on Radar Interface Module
Radar Data Recorders
Find more on Radar Data Recorders
Radar Gyroscope & Inclinometer
Find more on Radar Gyroscope & Inclinometer
Radar Environment Simulator
Transmitter Test Bench & Radar Target Generator
Radar Target Generator In all cases, the RTG will detect and preserve the radar pulse, apply a fixed and highly precise delay and retransmit the pulse with the appropriate power, pulse-width, frequency and Doppler shift. This is a high fidelity simulation of real targets and allows for precise scenarios for testing. The Towertrack moves the horn antenna up and down, according to a mechanical scenario, to simulate the elevation angle of the test target. When the two pre-programmed scenarios of the RTG and Towertrack are synchronised, the radar could observe the firing of a shell or a rocket.
- Data Handling Module (DHM): to record, replay and convert surveillance sensor data streams
- The Data Handling Module (DHM) runs different data handling functions. It is fully automatic and will be installed and set-up once by an expert. The DHM can input, output and record data and is able to convert the data stream to a number of specified formats. This data can then be used by every other tool of the RASS-R toolbox. The DHM also acts as the “backbone” of the whole RASS-R toolbox, because all other tools work with data processed by the DHM.
- Data Replay (DATA REPLAY): to replay with corrected timestamps
- The RASS-R Data Replay tool is used for re-injection of data with corrected timestamps, i.e. current UTC time. In combination with the DHM, recorded data can be replayed and re-injected in for example the ACC.
Display and Monitoring
- Multi Radar Display 3 (MRD3 ): to display multiple radar sources simultaneously
- The MRD3 is able to display several radar systems simultaneously in overlay (6 out of N selection), offering a way to visually compare the data of multiple radar stations in real time. The MRD3 can handle data originating from PSR/(M)SSR/Mode-S radars, ADS-B ground stations, MLT systems and multi-radar tracking systems.
- Technical Maintenance Display 3 (TMD3 ): to display one radar source only
- The TMD3 is an extremely powerful display system for use in daily radar monitoring and maintenance activities. The TMD3 system allows you to perform an on-the-spot real-time check-up of the radar’s performance. The use of the RIM782 for video signal acquisition and processing, together with the powerful graphical software for displaying of radar data and video, creates a very powerful and versatile local display for modern radars.
Surveillance Sensor Performance Assesment Toolset (SSPAT)
- Radar Comparator Mono/Dual (RCM/D): offline analysis of radar data
- The Radar Comparator is an essential tool for radar performance analysis based on operational data from one or several radars. The Radar Comparator Mono (RCM) uses single radar opportunity data for the calculation of probability of detection (Pd), false plot rate and correct (SSR-) code probability. The Radar Comparator Dual (RCD) uses dual radar data for the calculation of systematic errors (range, gain, relative time, azimuth biases) and accuracy measurements (range, time and azimuth errors). Moreover range, time and azimuth accuracy can also be estimated using mono radar data only.
- Track Analysis (TRACKAN): realtime analysis of radar data
- TRACKAN is a real-time, trajectory-based, 24h/7d radar data analysis tool. TRACKAN is designed to automatically detect and report the following problems: non-compliant transponders, general detection problems, aircraft with too low Pd, abnormal trajectories, average Pd on code detection performance figures,… TRACKAN takes into account coverage maps. It can handle PSR, (M)SSR, Mode-S and ADS-B data and has full Mode-S capabilities.
- Coverage Map Calculator (CMC): generation of screening and relief files
- The RASS-R Coverage Map Calculator (CMC) uses accurate digital geographic data (SRTM-files) gathered on several NASA space shuttle missions to calculate radar theoretical and real coverage. Especially for mountainous regions this coverage volume prediction is essential. The tool produces high resolution coverage maps, and can set coverage bits in radar data structures. Other RASS-R tools as the RCM/D and TRACKAN can then use these coverage bits for more accurate calculation of the radar performance.
- Radar Interface Module: RIM782 Brochure
- Radar Data Recorder: UDR765 Brochure
- Radcore – Radar Data Convertor and Recorder: Radcore – Radar Data Convertor and Recorder RDCR992 Brochure
Using RASS-M the evaluation of the radar system will be completed quickly and with little interference to the controllers since the RASS-M system can be connected to signals which are already available and this under operational conditions. This advantage combined with the simple connections and easy-to-use user-interface ensure the radar technician that RASS-M is in fact the all-round radar maintenance tool.